This is the P2PU Archive. If you want the current site, go to www.p2pu.org!

Course Design Orientation

My recent threads

You haven't posted any discussions yet.

Recently updated threads

January 2011 Introductions

Go back to: General discussion

-

Hey everyone! I'm Alison and I'm organizing this orientation. I've been with P2PU for a while now and occassionally run courses in ecological design (http://p2pu.org/users/alison). Running P2PU courses is RADICALLY different from traditional online courses and classrooms. There are no teachers. In a P2PU course everyone, including the organizer, is responsible for their own learning - but must work as group to make the experience/learning happen.

I'd love to here from everyone about:

• Who you are, what do you do?
  • What draws you to the peer-to-peer model?
  • What are YOUR personal learning goals as an organizer?

-

1 person liked this
Laura White's picture
Laura White
Mon, 2011-01-10 20:15

Hi everyone!

My name is Laura, and I am a student at Tulane University in New Orleans, LA. I'm passionate about peer-to-peer learning because it leverages the collective learning power of communities and creates more knowledge than what comes from just one person. My goals as an organizer is to create a positive experience for participants in the course, and to make sure they learn something valuable to their own journeys as women social innovators.

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Mon, 2011-01-10 20:18

Hello, I'm a webcrafter, tho a very mediocre one which is what draws me here. I've signed up for javascript and php to get some basics down on the tech side and signed up for design and usability for better front-end designing.

I'm all for the p2p model because traditional courses just don't cut it for me. I never liked the idea of buying textbooks since we have the whole internets at our fingertips and I think we learn better from ourselves, anyway.

My personal learning goals as an organizer is to understand my field better, which is cannabis, and see where other people are at in their knowledge.

Philipp Schmidt's picture
Philipp Schmidt
Mon, 2011-01-10 20:23

Who Am I:

I've been involved in P2PU from the start. I ran a course in the last round, and I'd be happy to share what we learned (mostly about things that didn't go so well).

Why P2P:

Because research shows its the best way to learn - and we can build the future of education together.

Learning Goals:

I want to better understand what kinds of questions course organizers have, and what issues they struggle with, and how we can make the experience better for everyone.

Erin Knight's picture
Erin Knight
Mon, 2011-01-10 20:26

Hi! I am very excited about participating in the orientation! I am Erin and I am co-leading the sessions on Peer Engagement and Participation Tools. I am a super believer of the potential for and importance of peer and participatory learning. I have done a lot of research and work with social media for education at the Center for Next Generation Teaching and Learning at UC Berkeley. So I'll share some of my expertise but want the sessions to be participatory (!) and to focus on your goals and ideas for your courses.

Juan Vicente García Manjón's picture
Juan Vicente Garc...
Mon, 2011-01-10 20:34

Hi! everybody

I´m Juan and I teach at a traditional University in Spain since 2005. My courses are Business Innovation and Business Organization.
The P2P model gathered my attention, since I believe that nowadays teachers are only learning facilitators and the main resource for learning is the motivation of people who want to discover new things
What I expect to get from this experience is just checking out new methodologies and share with others enthusiasm for learning.

Best

Juan

_@ _@'s picture
_@ _@
Mon, 2011-01-10 20:39

Hello, my name is Jim, I graduated in physics and working in complex systems research and as web developer
I hope to be a group with which to exchange ideas: teaching and learning.
I have a projected from this experience, schedule courses varied in physics, video games

Andy Lindeman's picture
Andy Lindeman
Mon, 2011-01-10 21:18

I am Andy Lindeman. I have a degree in Computer Science from Mississippi State University in the USA. I am currently not working full-time, but I am an aspiring web developer hoping to start work at a small firm in the next few months.

While I do not regret getting a traditional college degree in Computer Science, I am drawn to the peer learning world as it seems to be the way forward for learning cutting-edge, ever-changing technologies.

This is my first time running a course, so I am really just sticking to the basics: I hope to learn how to be as effective of a facilitator as possible, measured mostly by how much everyone is able to learn.

Specifically, I am intrigued about how to best facilitate a larger class (e.g., with many smaller study groups, etc..).

Carol Cross's picture
Carol Cross
Mon, 2011-01-10 21:23

Hi! My name is Carol, and I am an educator who is spending most of her time teaching in a non-paid capacity by homeschooling my son and teaching multiple classes for a wide range of age for our local homeschool community and my spiritual center. Homeschooling--at least the way most of us in our secular homeschooling community here in Cary (outside of Raleigh), North Carolina--is kind of a free-wheeling educational experience, where we all trade off and learn from each other. Families swap their expertise among themselves, adults are learning from each other, kids are learning from each other, and parents and children are all learning together. So while I've never taught, or even taken, a class quite like these, I am interested in trying to establish the same kind of learning community online that we have in our homeschooling network.

I'm teaching the Psychology of Math Learning, which is a subject I am interested in, but don't have many answers about. So I'm looking forward to working together to see if we can use Psychology to help make Math Learning easier for the many students who find it to be their most challenging subject.

Dani Novak's picture
Dani Novak
Tue, 2011-01-11 15:02

Carol,

I think we have many common interests. Assume you know Maria since both of you are from the same place. Are you part of the GeoGebra efforts? Do you know about NLVM... I wish I would have time to write more but I just wanted to send a short note. Cheers, --Dani

ps. Ithaca has kind of a similar center as yours: http://nllchs.org/

Julie Bowes's picture
Julie Bowes
Mon, 2011-01-10 21:30

Hi, my name is Julie Bowes. I work for a non-profit doing grassroots capacity-building on the Tibetan plateau and will soon (hopefully!) be moving into teaching. I also work on intergenerational learning and skills exchanges. I'm drawn to peer-to-peer learning because it empowers each of us recognize the inherent value in our own knowledge, skills and experiences. My goals as an organizer are to learn best practices for peer-to-peer learning and facilitation, to help course participants get the most out of the course and to start steering my own path as a woman social innovator.

Lila  Bailey's picture
Lila Bailey
Mon, 2011-01-10 21:37

wow, you folks all sound super cool. i'm lila bailey, a lawyer in san francisco, CA. i've been involved in P2PU since the first cycle, but i'm taking the orientation because i'm very interested in improving my course, Copyright 4 Educators, for future cycles. i'm hoping to get some cool ideas for making my course more participatory, and "sticky" - i.e., so folks don't drop out half way through.

Enric Senabre Hidalgo's picture
Enric Senabre Hid...
Mon, 2011-01-10 21:52

Hi,

My name is Enric, I'm working on a MediaWiki course. I teach/develop/coordinate around different ICT-related projects, mainly in the non-profit sector. I studied Linguistics then moved to Sociology and technology.

For me the P2P learning mode has been there since the beginnings of the (open) Web, and I think this Uni understands and applies that very well.

Some of my personal learning goals as an organizer: learn while I teach, be useful and clear, help growing the type of technology I think is useful, have fun solving things.

David Burns's picture
David Burns
Mon, 2011-01-10 21:56

Hi, my name is David Burns. I work for Mozilla as the Test Automation lead in the WebQA Team. I have written a book on the subject of my course and hope that I can share some of the enthusiasm for the subject on the people that join my course!

Ulrika Knutsson's picture
Ulrika Knutsson
Mon, 2011-01-10 22:08

Hi,
I´m working with social media and flexibel learning in Sweden. I´ve been working with popular education with adults for 30 years. I really welcome all new possibilites with social media and a new interest in taking responsibility for my own learning together with others. In Sweden we have a long tradition of folkbildning that comes from a basic tradition of the right for every citizen to get basic knowledge for being able to be a active democratic member in the society. The why, when and how should be made as a decision for what's right or wrong directed by the individuals themselves, together and open. Anyway, because I been involved in this work for a long time in Sweden and have been running a lot of courses on the net, this way of thinking on P2PU is very interesting. We discuss together, some facilitators, if we can run some kind of pedagogical course that connect between P2PU with folkbildning and flexibel learning. Normally I run courses on how to use internet in flexibel adult education or subjects within the fair trade movement.

Nathan Gandomi's picture
Nathan Gandomi
Mon, 2011-01-10 22:11

Hi everyone! I'm Nate, a former teacher from the Bay Area, and recently I've been working at the Center for Next Generation Teaching and Learning at UCB (with Erin!) on using participatory tools to drive student-centered learning. Like Erin said, I'd like to share some of what we've learned, but I'm looking forward to creating an environment where we can all share & learn from our experiences teaching and learning with these new tools! I've been a strong believer in the peer-to-peer model since my classroom days and am excited about its application in P2PU.

Christine Bush's picture
Christine Bush
Mon, 2011-01-10 23:56

Hello, I'm Christine Bush. I live in Mountain View, California and am in the process of "ramping up" my next career as a teacher. I've been a web developer since 1996 and have a GIS ANALYST certificate of recent vintage. So my core competencies are things like Flash and ESRI and OpenGeo and XML. I'm hoping to finish a degree at Foothill College this year which will qualify me to teach GIS as a technical course, but I'm really interested in the P2PU model and signed up for the course to learn how to do it right. My upcoming course will be an Introduction to the OpenGeo Community Suite (http://p2pu.org/general/introduction-opengeo-suite). I will not be offering it until April 2011, but didn't want to wait until the last minute to get oriented. I do think there is still an important role for the lecture/lab model with a traditional teacher. Am I alone?

I am really excited to be in a truly "global" class and will be sharing a map of us all shortly.

Jane Park's picture
Jane Park
Mon, 2011-01-10 23:10

I'm Jane Park, the Education Coordinator at Creative Commons - a nonprofit organization that develops and provides free copyright licenses and tools that anyone can use to share their educational materials with the world. As you may have noticed, P2PU content on this site is under a CC license: CC BY-SA. In order to answer questions about this and other P2PU related matters, I'll be hosting two calls on P2PU Values & Open Licensing this week and next, see http://p2pu.org/node/11464/document/11465 for logistics.

I've been involved with P2PU since before it ran its first cycle of courses. I was a volunteer course organizer, running two iterations of creative nonfiction writing. I also volunteer other efforts as needed, such as feedback in licensing, research, communications and publicity.

Please come with any questions to the calls! Or feel free to contact me directly.

Jessica Ledbetter's picture
Jessica Ledbetter
Tue, 2011-01-11 00:02

Howdy, all! I am looking forward to working with you in this class.

Who am I
I work as a web developer (Java) at a government lab in Virginia and have a BS in Computer Science and a Master's degree in Information Technology. I'm involved in open source, Toastmasters, animal rescue, and my local public library.

Why I <3 peer-to-peer
I love learning. I love teaching. One of the reasons I love what I do so much is that it allows me to constantly learn. The web changes all the time which is fantastic. Also, I have found that I learn best by teaching and have been looking for an interactive team-learning environment like this.

What are my goals
I am taking the orientation course to prepare for April. I have only taught one-on-one or short one session lessons both online and offline. I'm hoping to learn how to map out a whole semester and find out some lessons learned.

Luka Muzinic's picture
Luka Muzinic
Tue, 2011-01-11 00:48

Cheers people!

I like to call myself jack-of-all-trades in the web industry. As a web developer I code a lot, and as PHP instructor I teach others to code also. When I manage to squeeze out some free time I usually end up playing softball or paragliding.

Peer-to-peer model caught my attention last year, but I haven't been able to get involved. With almost three years of classroom teaching one fast growing and ever changing subject I've noticed that change and innovations are much needed.

I would like to get a grasp on peer-to-peer model, give something back to the community and network with interesting people.

Nick Doiron's picture
Nick Doiron
Tue, 2011-01-11 03:08

Hello and cайн байна уу everyone! I'm Nick, a civil engineering student working as a volunteer mapmaker and web developer.

The P2PU model encouraged me to start a course because it's supportive of open learning and openness in the underlying web technologies. Teaching a course is more rewarding than writing a guide because you see a direct result.

My objective for the Online Maps with OpenLayers course is to introduce people to a field where a little HTML and JavaScript empower us to create interactive maps with real-world applications. I learned JS from another maps API, so I'd like to help OpenLayers add more tutorials and examples for learners.

Karen Fasimpaur's picture
Karen Fasimpaur
Tue, 2011-01-11 03:37

Greetings, everyone. I'm karen and my course is "Entrepreneurial Marketing" (http://p2pu.org/general/entrepreneurial-marketing).

My "real job" is in education and technology, helping coach and mentor K-12 teachers and also writing curriculum. I am also a huge advocate for open educational resources (OER) and do a lot of presenting and other projects in that area. I have run a couple small start-ups and helped others with marketing, hence the course.

I am interested in the extension of OER into a broader model of open education, which draws me to the peer-to-peer model and to P2PU. Having spent a lot of years in the traditional educational system, I think that there are other models that work better for many learners, and P2P is certainly one.

My personal goals as an organiser of this class are:

- To learn more about marketing small enterprises and what works for different types of groups/causes (especially around social media which I am immersed in right now for a couple projects)
- To learn how to better frame questions and challenges (and to present less content but possibly curate better) to facilitate learning
- To think about how this marketing course and other related courses could be structured into an "Open School of Business," particularly with an emphasis on entrepreneurs for whom traditional biz schools might be less appropriate

I also expect to meet some interesting new people and learn some totally unexpected things along the way!

Joe Corneli's picture
Joe Corneli
Tue, 2011-01-11 04:12

Hello: I'm Joe Corneli, and I'm running a couple of mathematics courses (Short Calculus and Math for Game Designers). I'm also co-facilitating a course with Marisa Ponti called "Open Governance and Learning". And to round it out, I'm taking (for the second time) "Collaborative Lesson Planning". Zing!

dany bautista's picture
dany bautista
Tue, 2011-01-11 04:12

* Hello friends, my name is dany i'm student of computer science and a phisycs lover, i am the coordinator of a research group in web engineering, ubuntu-co member, front-end developer and the mos t important :a dreamer.

*Peer-to-peer model caught my attention because is something that need the society. the academic globalization require the same knowledge in the same time for all the people in a context. and is a big opportunity for meet with people from all the countrys and is really cool because from experiences like this are the first step for a multinational bussines with your friends.

*i will teach the new features of html5, is a good beginning for a web development career.

David Suárez's picture
David Suárez
Tue, 2011-01-11 04:13

Hello everyone! I'm David Suárez and live in Mexico City. I have a major in biology and am currently enrolled on a PhD program on philosophy of science. I work as teacher, as web developer and programmer.
I am very new to the peer-to-peer model, but I think it has several advantages over traditional models in certain areas. I am looking for a scenario where traditional and peer-to-peer education could be integrated.
I am organizing a course in spanish about Javascript and the Document Object Model, it is an opportunity to refresh my skills on this technology and to live the peer-to-peer learning model.

Matthew Buscemi's picture
Matthew Buscemi
Tue, 2011-01-11 05:22

Hi everyone!

My name is Matt Buscemi and I'm a web professional in Hawaii. I'm passionate about web technologies, and I have been fascinated by computer programming languages ever since I was a child.

I've also been told that I have a knack for explaining things and helping other make sense of complex topics. I have experience as a teacher. However, both my experiences as a teacher and a student have led me to a single conclusion -- learning works best when the teacher "gets out of the way", so to speak, and supports and directs students' discovery of new information. This is diametrically opposed to the traditional method of teaching, which has the teacher as the fount from which all knowledge flows.

The School of Webcraft and P2PU seems like such a great opportunity to me. The teaching/learning philosophy matches what I've learned from my own experience, and I get to organize courses around topics that I care deeply about.

My first course, which starts on January 26, is called "Introduction to PHP" (http://p2pu.org/webcraft/introduction-php). I hope to deepen my knowledge of PHP, server programming more generally, as well as curriculum development skills. I hope to participate in the development of the School of Webcraft accreditation badges for PHP programming.

Dan Diebolt's picture
Dan Diebolt
Tue, 2011-01-11 05:35

This is Dan in Michigan USA. I am an engineer and learned about Drumbeat & the School of WebCraft through a presentation at the Allied Media Conference last summer:

http://nathanieljames.org/blog/2010/06/17/drumbeat-and-p2pu-at-the-2010-...

Also that summer I attended The Next Hope conference and saw a presentation by Christina Pei entitled "Burning and Building Bridges: A Primer to Hacking the Education System":

http://c2047862.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/tnhc27.mp3

Suffice it to say these two presnentations resonated with me and my way of thinking about education so I signed up for a few P2PU courses this past September and now I am facilitating the jQuery course in WebCraft.

My personal learning objective is to "learning everything in my way."

Marisa Ponti's picture
Marisa Ponti
Tue, 2011-01-11 13:58

Hello Everyone!

Who I am:
I am a researcher and collaboration and peer-production are my core research interests. I have a Ph.D. in Library and Information Science from the University of Gothenburg, Sweden. From October to December 2010 I conducted a small exploratory study on one course run at P2PU last year. The study is almost completed.

Why I peer-to-peer:
I am fascinated by peer-production and by the possibilities afforded by digital media to generate content. I am also fascinated by the approach to learning taken by P2PU. I think it is radical and implies a lot of unlearning of old patterns in order to work. So I am here to learn but also to unlearn

What my goals are:
I am taking the orientation course to prepare for the course on Open Governance and Learning, which I am co-organizing with Joe Corneli. I am new to this task so it is necessary for me to learn “the basics” of running a course. I am already learning by reading what other co-organizers are doing. Another goal I have is to learn more about P2PU as organization, which is useful for my current and future research on P2PU.

Josmas Flores's picture
Josmas Flores
Tue, 2011-01-11 14:42

Hi there guys!
My name is José and I am a software developer by day, and a researcher in IT in education in my spare time.

I think that the peer-to-peer model fits my profession a lot better than traditional schooling, and my main research interest is focused on bringing those practices that work so well out of institutions, back into them.

I am very interested in the reactions to the model; not only the participants but also myself as an organiser. I'm very curious about experimenting the shift in roles, so looking forward to experience that as a participant in this course, and as an organiser in my own.

Dani Novak's picture
Dani Novak
Tue, 2011-01-11 15:06

Hello everyone,

I am very new to this but also very excited because I see the amazing potential for learning, community and sharing. have been teaching Math at Ithaca College http://www.ithaca.edu/ for 28 years... here is also some more info: http://faculty.ithaca.edu/novak/ I Love Math and believe that by learning math in a fun and meaningful way students can transform their consciousness and the whole word will benefit. This online direction gives hope to ailing humanity...

Cheers,

--Dani

Antoine Brunel's picture
Antoine Brunel
Tue, 2011-01-11 15:09

Hello People!

I live in Barcelona in Spain. I am an ex-programer now working in online marketing. I specialize in bringing traffic to websites, using SEO techniques for positioning on search engines, and SEM for search engine advertizing.

I am also completing a Master degree in Web marketing and Communication. My final work is about the Hackers (NOT Crackers, Hackers) that inspired the Free Software Foundation and I am preparing a course on that.

I am also very interested in psychoanalisis, and how the language cures.

I Like P2PU because I've always wanted to be a teacher without knowing precisely in which field I should specialize, and to which audience. P2PU is an amazing way to start something easily to see if you like it.
Furthermore, it is all about the free flow of information, a fundamental value of the Hacker Ethic. I find this kind of model very inspiring.
It's all about Acting instead of Just Watching, learning by doing instead of theoretizing. So let's Act, let's Teach and Learn!

Parag Shah's picture
Parag Shah
Tue, 2011-01-11 16:26

Hello Everyone,

My name is Parag. I have a masters in Computer Science and have been working as an freelance programmer and teacher for over a decade.

I feel that the all the Internet has all the ingredients for a perfect learning environment - information, interactions, micro mentors, and credentials. We just have to figure the right way to combine them together.

I am very interested in models of open online education where students can learn at their pace, from their peers/mentors, and also create a learning portfolio (proof of learning) which will act as their credentials. I am making an open source software which can power such a setting. The software is still very nascent ans much work has to be done. I have created a website which is powered with that software as it is being made (http://www.diycomputerscience.com)

I am looking forward to teaching/facilitating the Javascript 101 (http://p2pu.org/webcraft/javascript-101) course at P2P2. My learning goals are to improve my Javascript skills, and learn how to facilitate online courses which use a peer taught and mentor facilitated model for teaching and learning.

ozzie sutcliffe's picture
ozzie sutcliffe
Tue, 2011-01-11 20:17

Hi everyone,
I my name is Ozzie, better known as Oz. I am an Information Technology Service Management Consultant / Trainer. Big handle huh.. Its easier to us the acronym ITSM. My expertise is in ITIL ( Information Technology Infrastructure Library ).Sheesh yet another acronym.

OK what does all this mean ?

I facilitate the alignment of the Business to IT Services. Subtitled how to make the inter-network work. I am a professional Panthera herder.
I spend most of my time getting people to agree to disagree on process.

My interest in JavaScript is due in the most part about the ITSM tool I use.
The tool is a true web 2.0 SAAS enterprise application which transforms IT into Business Services; which leverages JavaScript for UI and server-side. My goal is learn JavaScript at a basic functional level. This will help me facilitate the best solution for the customer.The ability to talk the developers at at least a mediocre level will be great asset for me.

I will be helping Paraq in the Javascript 101. I like to have fun as part of training, when people laugh their minds are wide open!
The concept of open learning is very cool, students are not limited to the knowledge/cariculum/agenda of faculty and the school. Education to me means its about the students not the educators. I enjoy teaching for a very selfish reason, it brings knowledge to me from the students who then in turn facilitate my knowledge.
Don't you love kinetic energy ?

I am working on my Joomla site for my business and its thriving on neglect at the moment ..sadly.
My Linkedin profile tell much about for those who care..
linkedin.com/in/ozzie

B. Maura Townsend's picture
B. Maura Townsend
Wed, 2011-01-12 00:17

Hello! I am B. Maura Townsend, and I sort of volutneered myself to lead the course "Intro to Design and Usability." I'm kind of uncomfortable with these biographical statements, frankly, I always feel I've either gone off track and shared too much or said far too little.

I am a graphic designer and practical artist, with most of my training being focused on traditional print methods. I've also been an avid computer nerd since the mid-1980's, so I was able to take my print design training and apply it to web design in the mid 1990's very easily. I've always been interested in making media more accessible to the general viewer, because it's not communication if nobody can, or wants to stick around to, read it.

I'm an artist and a designer first - all the code and formatting tools I have managed to learn are tools to make the design work. I always try to design with the user in mind, and that's the real thing I'm going to try to communicate in the course I'm leading.

This will be the first online course I've ever facilitated. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions!

I have a lot of hobbies, which I understand is pretty typical of creative people in general. I minored in theatre production in college, because I've always loved textile arts and theatre, and I still do costume construction, textile arts, and historic costume research as a hobby pursuit. All the classes and tutorials I have written previously have been involved with those practical arts. I also restore houses, write a little, cook things, and write how-to posts on my blog.

My blog is here: http://bymyownhand.blogspot.com
I have several historic costuming handouts on Scribd, and a twitter, which I use only to announce new content.

Maria Droujkova's picture
Maria Droujkova
Wed, 2011-01-12 00:28

I am interested in mathematics education, especially its community aspects. I am the founder of the family network Natural Math and the "community of communities" Math 2.0
http://www.naturalmath.com/
http://mathfuture.wikispaces.com

I'd like to learn about scaling up sustainably. Last time I tried a peer-to-peer course (Family Multiplication Study) it took over my life a bit too much.
http://www.naturalmath.com/multiplicationplanet

Pippa Buchanan's picture
Pippa Buchanan
Wed, 2011-01-12 00:51

Hi everyone!

I'm Pippa Buchanan and most of my time within P2PU is spent helping run the School of Webcraft. I've previously organised one course in the previous round and learnt a lot in the process. Hopefully I'll be able to help you learn from my mistakes and learn more from you too!

My learning goal for this orientation is to find out better ways for us to organise the School of Webcraft.

I'm here to help Ali with the orientation, in particular to assist School of Webcraft organisers. I'll also be paying attention to Ali's advice in preparation for the next course I hope to organise around the Philosophy of Friendship.

I became interested in Peer-To-Peer learning when I started a self-organised DIY Masters project around friendship and media art. I'm still working on DIY Masters in snippets of time and am looking forward to learning more later in the year at P2PU.

I'm originally from Australia, but am based in Germany. I'm currently back home visiting family so I'll try to send some summer sunshine to all of you in the north.

P*

Niels Sprong's picture
Niels Sprong
Wed, 2011-01-12 12:37

Hi Everyone,
I am Niels, a Dutch dude now working in the UK, and I have organised and experimented a bit with p2pu courses in the past. The p2p model very much engages me as it adapts way faster to new developments than other types of cooperations, as we have been able to observe from the course proposals.

Developing models for teaching and learning very much interests me, and through the community list new course announcements I have been able to see that a lot of people here have a unique and interesting take on this. I am here to see if there is anything I can learn/ contribute from experience at p2pu and in academia, in terms of organising a learning experience.

Rebecca Kahn's picture
Rebecca Kahn
Wed, 2011-01-12 12:37

Hi everyone

I'm Bekka - I'm a South African based in London and, like some of the others, I've been around for a while. I ran a course on cyberpunk literature in the pilot round at P2PU, and took (and dropped out of, I'm ashamed to say) several courses since then.

The peer-to-peer model is fascinating to me, becuase I think traditional learning can be an experience that often brings our insecurities to the surface, and a love how peer groups tend to behave with compassion.

My goals are to learn how to engage better with courses, so that I don't keep dropping out! I'm a repeat offender.

Tomato Sea's picture
Tomato Sea
Wed, 2011-01-12 21:19

Hello Everyone!

I'm seatomato (a.k.a Inhye), a Korean living in NYC.
I'm an artist working with media and I also develop websites, using wordpress, some php&javascripts, flash etc.

I'm very interested in education and I believe in the power of a community that enables people of like-minded to gather, share knowledge and grow together. So I'm here.

My goal as an organizer is to learn ways to engage people and see more possibilities of a remote learning.

* btw, my course hasn't been approved yet. :p
http://p2pu.org/webcraft/wordpress-website-101
Does anybody know what I should do to get it approved?

Una Daly's picture
Una Daly
Wed, 2011-01-12 22:39

Howdy Everyone,

I'm Una Daly, Associate Director of College Open Textbooks at Foothill College in Northern California. I'm also an adjunct faculty in the Computer Technology department as I was formerly a software engineer for many years :-)! My undergraduate work was in Computer Science and Math but I switched to Educational Technology for my Masters. I also coordinate ePortfolios at Foothill College primarily in Career Technical Education and Licensing programs. I am interested in learning theory and the factors that we control as faciliators to improve learning outcomes for our participants.

I facilitated a course on Adopting Open Textbooks last Fall at P2PU and really enjoyed it. It was a great way to reach out and hear from folks outside my traditional learning environment e.g. Technical and Community Colleges in the U.S. Having taught online before in a more traditional manner, I had to ease into the idea of co-teaching or peer-to-peer and realizing that I am not responsible for all the content of the course. The more everyone contributes, the more we all learn.

Some of the feedback from my peers was that they wanted to work in small groups possibly discipline-specific and develop open educational resources so I am incorporating small team projects and authoring as a possible team project. The teams will ultimately choose their own project but I am trying to help organize the teams based on the responses to my sign-up questions.

I am sure that I will learn a lot more this Winter in the second go round of Open Textbooks and hope that we can share our worries and successes with each other in this space because I'm going to need some advice on this journey :-)!

livejake's picture
livejake
Thu, 2011-01-13 06:02

I'm Jake. I work on the tech team at the Huff Post. I'm also working on some entrepreneurial side projects.

I'm interested in any model that could complement or replace some aspects of the professor-student model.

As an organizer, I'm interested in exploring how the online peer-to-peer model works. I'm also interested learning how online courses and education works.

Stian Haklev's picture
Stian Haklev
Thu, 2011-01-20 11:20

Hi all. First of all, what an absolutely amazing group of people this is! I feel so privileged to be part of this group, and so excited about what we are all creating together!

I'm a PhD student in Curriculum, Teaching and Learning at University of Toronto, and I am researching peer-to-peer learning. I also try to have my finger in most things at P2PU, which is getting harder and harder as the community is growing rapidly.

When we were at the second community workshop in Barcelona last year, I was embarassed to find that I was one of the only people there who hadn't run a course... I was originally planning to run one this cycle, but for different reasons, it didn't get ready in time. Now I am working with a friend on preparing one for the next cycle. Preliminary title "Computer-supported collaborative learning and open education" :)

Stian Haklev's picture
Stian Haklev
Thu, 2011-01-20 11:21

If any of you are blogging about your experiences with P2PU, I would be happy to add your feed to our community "planet" (http://blogs.p2pu.org/planet) (there is also a planet-webcraft). If you can give me a feed to only your P2PU/open ed related posts (unless that's the only thing you write on the blog, in which case you can give me the general feed), I'd be happy to add you.

Jamie Curle's picture
Jamie Curle
Thu, 2011-01-27 09:33

Hi Stian,

I'm blogging about my course (HTML&CSS From The Beginning ) on my personal website, you can access the feed for P2PU specific posts at http://jamiecurle.com/posts/feed/P2PU.rss

Cheers,

Jamie.

Diana Deen's picture
Diana Deen
Thu, 2011-02-03 21:14

I got into this course a little late, but I am a musician/instructional designer. Take your pick - got degrees in both areas. Anyway, I've taught music and computer science courses for a number of years, have taken several online courses, and just last year got to teach my first two online courses. I'm hoping to learn some additional techniques for collaborative learning online.

Christine Vaufrey's picture
Christine Vaufrey
Tue, 2011-03-22 00:03

Hello,
My name is Christine, I'm French, I live in Lyon (France) and I'm both a trainer and a chief editor for a website dedicated to eLearning and use of digital tools in education : http://www.cursus.edu .
I wrote many papers about peer-to peer learning, and now I wanna try to create a course... As a trainer, I work in a physical center. I made some classical eLearning courses, and I'm not satisfied with them, wanna make something more interactive (between students ) and self-managed. This is my first time in P2P University; I'm currently following a MOOC with Manitoba University, about connective knowledge. It's a great experience and now it's time for me to create something, not only to learn about things...
Last : as you can see, my written english is awful ! Sorry !
J'aimerais beaucoup qu'il y ait un groupe P2P en français !