This is the P2PU Archive. If you want the current site, go to www.p2pu.org!

Medical Marijuana 101

My recent threads

You haven't posted any discussions yet.

Recently updated threads

Introduction to Medical Marijuana 1/26/11 - 2/01/11

Go back to: General discussion

Welcome to the first section in our Medical Marijuana 101 course!

We plan to cover a few basics of communication, what lessons will be like, and a brief overview of growing high-quality medical marijuana. After this section, you will understand:

• Lesson structure
    • List of topics
    • Lecture and/or reading
    • Team tasks
    • Short answers
    • Quiz and recap
  • How to message each other
    • P2PU system
    • Personal email
    • Facebook
  • When to use forums
    • Discuss topics from current lesson
    • Post assignments to be peer reviewed
  • When to use chat
    • Team collaboration
    • Topic conversations
  • The five stages of growing great medicine
    • Sprouting seeds
    • Vegitative stage
    • Flowering stage
    • Harvesting
    • Drying and curing

Each topic above is in bold. This is how we'll know the topics of a lesson. Below, we'll start a thread for each individual topic.

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Wed, 2011-01-26 19:19

Lesson Structure

First, you'll check to see a list of the topics we'll be covering. Then, you'll reference the lecture and/or reading for the lesson. After this, we'll work together in small teams (2-3 person teams randomly assigned per lesson) to complete a task pertaining to the lesson. Then you'll submit a short answer assignment individually to be peer reviewed. Lastly, we'll quiz each other in the chat room and discuss and lingering questions about the lesson.

Any questions or comments about our lesson structure? Please click the reply link below and post.

Patricia Stevens's picture
Patricia Stevens
Thu, 2011-01-27 08:46

Hi Mark- sorry i missed role call. I am a bit lost as to where to go from here?? What do i do, where do I go?? I am confused, or maybe just stoned!! I have read the first 105 pages of Todd McCormick's book. I need to know what to do and where to go now!I guess I will just keep reading!? Thank you,
Rev Zzdila

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Thu, 2011-01-27 22:27

Hi Patricia! It's great that you've dived into the text already. We'll be using the forums as a jumping point for our lessons. This first week will explain what we'll be doing so stay tuned to this forum.

Ian Byers's picture
Ian Byers
Thu, 2011-01-27 22:27

Hello:
It seems that several of us are missing the details as to how to interact in this course.
If all I wanted to do was read a book, well, there was no point in signing up for a "course".
BTW I do not "twitter", nor do I waste bandwidth with a "Facebook" account, so communications
are via the new "snail-mail".
Ian

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Thu, 2011-01-27 22:29

Hello Ian, there will be many activities in this course to augment what the book teaches. This week we're going over how the course will work so keep posted on this forum. Are you receiving messages ok?

Ian Byers's picture
Ian Byers
Thu, 2011-01-27 22:34

Yes, Thank You. Just letting you know that I will be seated in front of my faithful Desktop while interacting, so expect contributions every 12 hours - versus a short post while on the subway.
Ian

Patricia Stevens
Thu, 2011-01-27 08:51

What is the first lesson? i ca't seem to find it or to get to it, what's up??
RevZzudila

Tiago Rajadas's picture
Tiago Rajadas
Thu, 2011-01-27 14:11

Hi Mark,

Like Patricia, I'm a bit lost too.
I've started to read the How to from Todd McCormick, but where should I go now?

Thank you and keep up the good work.

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Thu, 2011-01-27 22:31

Hi Tiago! This week is our introduction to the course. Your answers will be met on this forum. Cheers!

Samantha Susak's picture
Samantha Susak
Thu, 2011-01-27 16:53

Hi so sorry I missed roll call too, thought I thought for some reason I read that we were meeting on Thursdays and Mondays?? Ummm...does that mean were meeting tonight as well? Just kinda confused! Lesson 1? IM really excited about this though :)

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Thu, 2011-01-27 22:33

Hi Sam, sorry about the confusion. We'll be going over how it will work this week and then get into the course properly after. Stay tuned to this forum!

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Thu, 2011-01-27 22:49

You're all in the right place! The forum will be our starting point for all sections of the course.

Please fill out this contact form so we can all communicate effectively.
http://bit.ly/mmj101contact

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Thu, 2011-01-27 22:55

How to Message Each Other

Please fill this FORM with your contact info and preferred method of communication. I will make the list available to everyone so we don't miss a beat!

http://bit.ly/mmj101contact

It seems like the P2PU message system is a little wacky. The staff is working on this. In the mean time, we'll be better off using our own email, Facebook, or Twitter accounts (whichever is most preferred).

Sorry for the inconvenience. We'll work out as many bugs this week as possible so that we're all on the same page when the content begins next week.

Patricia Stevens
Thu, 2011-01-27 23:45

This link says that I don't have permission to enter?? So now hat?? You can contact me through my email or facebook!!
Rev Zzudila

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Fri, 2011-01-28 01:27

It will work now.

Michael's picture
Michael
Fri, 2011-01-28 00:48

I, too, do not have permission to access that Contact Info document, Mark. E-mail is the best method of communication for me, unless we're in a live chat (I am getting e-mail updates to changes on this forum).

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Fri, 2011-01-28 01:30

Thanks for letting me know you're getting these updates, Michael. Just in case it becomes difficult to reach you, also fill out the form above. It will work now. Cheers!

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Fri, 2011-01-28 19:49

When to Use Forums

As mentioned, we will use forums for two primary purposes: to start lessons with discussion and to post assignments for peer-review.

Forums for sections will have the title of the section and date range of participation. The first post will be from me with a quick summary and the section outline of topics. Each topic will be posted by me as the section proceeds. You will know I've posted a new topic because the title will be bold, as the top of this post shows.

When you want to join the discussion about a topic, be sure to click the 'reply' link in the same box as the posted topic or specific post.

I will post assignments and teams in the initial section post.

To submit assignments, we'll go to the forum aptly labeled 'Assignments.' This is also where we will peer-review each other's work, keeping in mind the same rules about where to reply to keep us organized.

Make sense?

Jesus Ruiz's picture
Jesus Ruiz
Sat, 2011-01-29 06:46

Hi, sorry i missed the roll call too. My workplace have a very tight firewall settings and i get home late.

So do we start reading the book?

thnks :D

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Sat, 2011-01-29 09:47

We're starting with the book next week but it's never too soon to get acquainted with it. This forum will give a sense of how the course will run. Feel free to post any thoughts to the organization of it. Cheers!

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Sat, 2011-01-29 22:15

When to Use Chat

Enter the chatroom by clicking on the 'Chat' link. It's next to the forum link.

We will meet in the chatroom as a class on Mondays and Thursdays at 8pm EST (5pm PST). This session is scheduled for an hour but can go on as long as you want.

In this session, we'll dive into current topics and assignments in detail. I will post the transcript of the chat for your convenience.

The chatroom is available anytime and I encourage teams to utilize it to coordinate each other for accomplishing team tasks. You must schedule this amongst yourselves - just avoid Monday and Thursday evenings.

This should complete how the course will run. You know what the lesson structure will be, how to message each other (you'll find a contact list under course material), what the forums will be used for and when to chat.

Do not hesitate to communicate if I made something unclear.

Coming up next:

I will not post anything tomorrow. Get comfortable with Todd McCormick's text. On Monday, we'll get into an overview of what the stages are when growing high-quality medicinal marijuana.

On Tuesday, we'll begin the next section in a new forum - Sourcing Seeds and Sprouting which will also include the topic of cloning.

Cheers everyone!

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Mon, 2011-01-31 17:36

The 5 Stages of Growing Great Medicine

1. Sprouting Seeds or Rooting Clones

The first step to grow anything. Sprouting seeds is easy and there are various techniques that we'll get into in the next section. Same goes for rooting clones cut from a mother plant.

2. Vegetative Stage

In this stage, Cannabis focuses on growing tall, branching, root and leaf development. The time of the vegetative stage can be indefinite, so long as disease and pests are controlled.

3. Flowering Stage

Seedlings become mature (able to flower)after about 6 weeks. Cannabis is photosensitive. It knows when to flower based on how many hours of light it gets. When the hours of light are about equal to the hours of darkness (12-hour cycles), flowers begin to develop.

4. Harvesting Stage

There are ways to know when the plant is ripe to harvest. We will learn that we have a few options of control at this stage. If we harvest earlier, the plant will yield a more cerebral high; later it will give a heavier body high. This is important to know when we're growing for a specific condition.

5. Drying and Curing Stage

Even after harvest, the active medicine of Cannabis (cannabinoids) continues to mature. During this stage, we regulate the moisture content of the harvested buds in order to prevent mold and enhance quality of smoke or vapor (smoothness, taste, smell).

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Mon, 2011-01-31 18:34

This is the end of this section. Can I clear anything up? On Wednesday, we'll get into a new thread for a new section. Please start flipping through Todd McCormick's book in preparation. Cheers y'all!

Michael's picture
Michael
Tue, 2011-02-01 03:05

No chat tonight?

mark candaras's picture
mark candaras
Wed, 2011-02-02 21:08

Hi Michael. No chat yesterday; we will chat on Thursday though. Cheers!